This item is only available through the the University of Utah Press secure online store. Please note, this online store is unrelated to the shopping cart on our site. If you wish to make a purchase from this store, items must be paid for separately and will ship separately from items in your shopping cart.
"The first time Papa laid eyes on Mamma he told her he loved her...had to kidnap her in broad daylight and hide her in a water-barrel to keep her Mormon family from stopping the marriage. Papa really cherished Mamma; he married her four times...and the last service was read at his death bed." —from the book
John Fitzgerald's Catholic father and Mormon mother were lovingly united by the belief "that all religions are but windows of the same church." Based on memories of his early life, this heart-warming story of young John's venturesome family is filled with a cast of rollicking characters, including Evangelists, gamblers, gunmen, and Indians. Papa Married a Mormon fulfills a promise John made to his mother to present a true portrayal of the courageous people in Mormon territory, the "little people who built the West."
Distributed for Western Epics Publishing.
John D. Fitzgerald was a writer, jazz drummer, and foreign correspondent, and author of The Great Brain children's adventure series.
Table of Contents:
1. Uncle Will's Arrival in Silverlode
2. Uncle Will at the Battle of Silverlode
3. The Migration to America
4. Papa Goes West
5. Papa Buys The Silverlode Advocate
6. Papa Meets Mamma
7. The Settlement of Enoch
8. The Courtship of Tena
9. Honeymoon and Home
10. Papa Decides to Become a Mormon
11. The Barriers Begin to Fall
12. Ghost Town
14. Bertha Tuttle Finds a Home
15. Grandma Elizabeth's Public Unveiling
16. Dirty Dawson and the Magic Belt
17. Aunt Cathie to the Rescue
18. The Battle for Our Souls
19. The Fallen Woman
20. Uncle Will Loses a Wager
21. Prelude to Murder
22. The Passing of the Laredo Kid
23. The Salvation of Uncle Will
24. Love Comes to Aunt Cathie