Back to Digital Collections A-Z
On June 9th, 1911 a ten-story glittering white palace renowned for elegance and extraordinary service was christened to the world as the Hotel Utah. Construction had begun two years prior and was overseen but the Parkinson and Bergstron architecture firm. As many as 550 men worked on site each day during construction. The hotel's distinctive interior was clad in granite and porcelain glazed pure-white terra-cotta. An ornate white dome in the shape of a beehive, the state's symbol of cooperative industry, crowned the regal Italian influenced structure. Fine furnishings, beautiful art, and an exceptional staff made the Hotel Utah a mecca for business leaders, public officials, travelers, and even Hollywood socialites. In August of 1987 the Hotel Utah closed its doors amid financial losses and a need for extensive renovations despite outcry and protests from community members. Today Hotel Utah is known as The Joseph Smith Memorial Building. While no longer a hotel, The Joseph Smith Memorial Building is a popular location for those celebrating weddings, anniversaries, and events.
The Hotel Utah Photograph and Manuscript collections (P0283 and Ms0469) are housed in the Special Collections department of the J. Willard Marriott Library. Digitized photographs and manuscripts items from the collection are available for researching online and include highlights from the Hotel's distinguished history. The physical collections are available to all researchers during regular business hours.